Monday, May 12, 2008

Where To Go Now?




I went to the hospital last week and got some information on who to call to get Cobee started in therapies and social services. The service coordinator just left my house. She was very nice. There is so much help available and I am so grateful. I wouldn't know what to do on my own. Cobee will start therapies in a couple of weeks. It sounds crazy, but the sooner they intervene in the first stages of development, their chances of success in later development increases. If you don't intervene early on, it is like domino affect, and all of the other stages will be delayed. Most of the physical delays in Down syndrome stems from low muscle tone in their bodies, combined with double joints and hyper flexibility in their joints, causing lack 0f coordination, endurance and motivation. Early intervention can help aid in developing muscle tone early on in order to help with speech development, rolling, sitting up, walking, etc. I feel it is important to do everything we can to give Cobee the best chance at life, both physically and mentally.

No comments:

Post a Comment